Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Awakening from my slumber to let everyone in Los Angeles know about the upcoming Alli Warren, Brandon Brown and Anna Joy Springer reading at the Smell this Sunday.

A Jerry Saltz article in the Voice about the current state of the art market reminded me of the debate Steve Evans initiated several years ago around the journals Fence and the Germ. "To say you won't participate in the market is like saying you refuse to breathe the air because it's polluted."

There's also this: "In the 1970s, conceptualist Joseph Kosuth said, 'The only people who care about art are artists.' That's changed." But today, are the only people who care about poetry poets?

Also, I suppose I should let you know about WAMPA.

4 comments:

Robert said...

Yep. They're poets.

The latest stat I heard was only 1% of MFA grads go on to be writers. Whatever that means. The other 99% are what keep the demand high enough to keep mainstream book stores still stocked with poetry.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

Good lord but there are endless poets. There are so many of us these days.

Robert said...

More the merrier.

Robert said...

Hey - what happened to February?